Here I will post problems I and my colleagues met and solutions we found.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

TFS 2010 build machine workspace issues

When we converted from TFS 2008 to TFS 2010 everything seemed fine. But then I created new build definition and got this error:

The path XXX is already mapped in workspace YYY.

OK, I talked to IT who made the setup and they told they changed Build agent Working directory to

$(BuildDirectory)\$(BuildDefinitionPath)\$(BuildDefintionId) (added BuildDefinitionId).

When we tried to reverse it back we got the same error message for old converted builds, the new one started to work. Going back and forward, trying to clear workspace with tf.exe command we couldn't resolve it. Either one or another build failed.
Finally, I asked him to change Wokring Directory to some completely new folder, suspecting that we had conflict with some old settings in workspaces that we could not clean. And it helped. So, we may still have some old settings somewhere, but changing working folder to new one we had clean start and it's working so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've run into this issue a few times. It seems to happen to me when I am completely changing a build definition or sometimes when I delete a build definition and create a new one with the same name. It appears that the mapping of the build definition sometimes doesn't get removed from the build server. I have used TFS Sidekicks (the workspaces tool in it) to identify the old workspace and manually delete it. That has worked for me every time so far...

Maxim Alexeyev said...

We had it later and used command line tfs to delete workspace manually. It just didn't work first time, still don't know why.